How is your General Knowledge and Current Affairs knowledge? – Part I
As you all know, General Knowledge (GK), General Awareness (GA) and Current Affairs (CA) play quite an important role in many exams – XAT, IIFT, SNAP, TISS, etc. Keeping that in mind, we would be sharing with you the main events that happen every month.
The first in this series: some of the main events in the first week of May 2018 – in a question and answer format (Note: try the questions yourselves first and only then look at the answers).
Week 1 – May 2018 (20 questions – 10 min)
- 1) Who has won the best actor award at the 2018 Dadasaheb Phalke Awards?
- Akshay Kumar
- Shahrukh Khan
- Anupam Kher
- Aamir Khan
- 2) Who has become the principal director general of the Press Information Bureau (PIB)?
- Nikunj Srivastav
- Sitanshu Kar
- Varsha Suri
- Devesh Chaturvedi
- 3) What is theme of 2018 International Labour Day?
- Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement
- Celebrating the International Labour Movement
- Let’s value work by providing the jobless with start-up capital support
- Promote employment by supporting prospective entrepreneurs
- 4) Who has been appointed as the new Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI)?
- Nilesh Sathe
- Badri Singh Bhandari
- Subhash Chandra Khuntia
- VK Sharma
- 5) Who has been sworn-in as the acting governor of Manipur?
- Devendra Kumar Joshi
- S Lakshmi Narasimhan
- BD Mishra
- Jagdish Mukhi
- 6) Who has won the 2018 Azerbaijan Formula 1 Grand Prix tournament?
- Lewis Hamilton
- Daniel Ricciardo
- Sebastian Vettel
- Kimi Raikkonen
- 7) Who has been named the Football Writers’ Association (FWA) Footballer of the Year for 2017-18?
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Lionel Messi
- Kevin De Bruyne
- Mohamed Salah
- 8) Who has been appointed to ICICI Bank’s board as an Additional (Independent) Director?
- Jeevesh Kumar
- Radhakrishnan Nair
- Tushaar Shah
- Rajiv Sabharwal
- 9) Which state government has launched ‘Go To Village’ Mission?
- 10) The first-ever joint Army exercise “Harimau Shakti 2018” has started between India and which country?
- 11) According to the Deutsche Bank research report, the Indian economy is witnessing a “cyclical upswing” and the country is likely to clock a GDP growth of 7. 5% this financial year. The Deutsche Bank Headquarters in _______________.
- Geneva, Switzerland
- New York, the USA
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Berlin, Germany
- 12) Name the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly speaker who has been appointed as the Deputy- CM of the state.
- Mohammad Abbas Ansari
- Nayeem Ahmad Khan
- Yasin Malik
- Kavinder Gupta
- 13) One97 Communications Limited, the owner of digital payment major, Paytm, announced the launch of its offline payments solution named ______ to provide seamless payments solutions for non-internet customers.
- Paytm offline
- Paytm Tap Card
- Paytm Payments
- Paytm Payoff
- 14) Name the WhatsApp Co-founder and CEO who has recently announced his resignation from the parent company Facebook.
- Sheryl Sandberg
- Jan Koum
- Chris Cox
- Dave Wehner
- 15) Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Uma Bharti, launched the GOBAR-DHAN scheme at the National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Auditorium, Karnal, Haryana. The full form of GOBAR is
- Gypsum Organic Bio-Agriculture Resources
- Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources
- Geological Organization of Bio-Agro Resources
- Graphically Organized Bio-Agricultural Resources
- 16) Hockey India has recently appointed ______________ as coach of India’s men’s team after its disappointing performance in commonwealth games 2018.
- Jugraj Singh
- Harendra Singh
- Bholanath Singh
- Gurbux Singh
- 17) Name the Bollywood singer who was honoured with 26th PC Chandra Puraskaar for her contribution in the field of Indian music.
- Sunidhi Chauhan
- Shreya Ghoshal
- Lata Mangeshkar
- Asha Bhosle
- 18) Name the person who has been appointed as Australian cricket team’s head coach for all three formats
- Justin Langer
- Shane Warne
- Darren Lehman
- Rickey Ponting
- 19) Who has won the ‘Miss Koovagam 2018’ beauty pageant title?
- 20) Who has been appointed the new chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament?
- Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Mallikarjun Kharge
- Kamal Nath
- Jyotiraditya Scindia
1) Akshay Kumar
Notes: For his role in Padman and Toilet: Ek Prem Katha
2) Sitanshu Kar
Notes: He is a 1983-batch Indian Information Service (IIS) officer and he will succeed Frank Noronha, who had held the post since 2014.
3) Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement
Notes: The first Labour day or May Day was celebrated in the year 1923 in Chennai. The 2018 theme “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement” motivate workers all over the world to unite for their rights and demand social and economic advancement from the governments and capitalists. The theme also calls upon the labour leaders to collectively fight for the improvement in working conditions and press for decent work.
4) Subhash Chandra Khuntia
Notes: The post was vacant for more than two months after TS Vijayan’s tenure came to an end on February 21. He is a 1981-batch Indian Administrative Services (IAS) officer.
5) Jagdish Mukhi
Notes: Mukhi, who is the governor of Assam and Meghalaya, will hold office in the absence of Governor Najma Heptullah.
6) Lewis Hamilton
Notes: Mercedes’ British driver Lewis Hamilton has won the 2018 Azerbaijan Formula 1 Grand Prix tournament at the Baku City Circuit in Baku on April 29, 2018. Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari finished second and Sergio Perez of Force India ended third in the race.
7) Mohamed Salah
Notes: Liverpool forward Salah became the first African to be given the accolade after edging out Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne by less than 20 votes in a ballot of more than 400 FWA members.
8) Radhakrishnan Nair
Notes: Radhakrishnan Nair, the former IRDAI member, has been appointed to ICICI Bank’s board as an Additional (Independent) Director. He is already an independent director of three subsidiaries of ICICI Bank — ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd; ICICI Prudential Trust Ltd and ICICI Securities Primary Dealership Ltd.
Notes: Under the new mission, the government will identify the eligible and deserving beneficiaries and deliver government services at their doorstep.
Notes: Started at Wardieburn Camp in Kuala Lumpur. The focus will remain on tactical operations in jungle warfare.The aim of the two-week long exercise is to bolster cooperation and coordination between armed forces of both the nations and to share the expertise of both the contingents in conduct of counter insurgency operations in jungle terrain.
11) Frankfurt, Germany
12) Kavinder Gupta
13) Paytm Tap Card
14) Jan Koum
15) Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources
Notes: The scheme was launched in the presence of the Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar. The scheme aims to positively impact village cleanliness and generate wealth and energy from cattle and organic waste.
16) Harendra Singh
Notes: Hockey India has appointed Harendra Singh as coach of India’s men’s team, while Sjoerd Marijne will take over as chief coach of women’s side.
17) Asha Bhosle
Notes: Sharmila Tagore was the Chief Guest at the event who also presented the prestigious award to Asha Bhosle.
18) Justin Langer
Notes: Langer replaces Darren Lehmann, who had stepped down after Australia’s tour of South Africa amid the ball-tampering controversy.
Notes: Chennai-based transgender Mubina has won the 2018 Miss Koovagam beauty pageant title in Villupuram, Tamil Nadu.
20) Mallikarjun Kharge
Notes: Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge, an MP from Gulbarga (Karnataka), has been re-appointed chairman of the 22-member Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of Parliament for its fresh term starting on May 1.